Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Way Back Playback #2 - Five Rules to Advertising Happiness

If you read my very first entry, I talked about how I used to write online way back in 2002. So in order to bring some perspective into what I wrote, and how it relates to what is going on today, I've decided to re-post the articles, grammar mistakes and all. 

Written January 25, 2003

Before I begin on my rules of advertising, it must state to what I think advertising is. True advertising is the promotion and marketing of a product, service, or idea to a viewing audience for interest, knowledge, or sale. For many advertisers, it’s so hard to forget what their living is all about.

Rule #1: If the creative is good, the numbers will follow. (Not the other way around)
I understand that advertising is a job, and we are all in it to make a living. But that does not mean that we have to degrade our creative abilities for profit. I understand there are extreme pressures by business accountants who add the numbers. Like in life, there needs to be a balance. However, if the creative is good, the numbers will follow.

Rule #2: Be open; understand why people have problems with the advertising industry.
When I talk to my friends or family and tell them that I am studying advertising, I usually get mixed responses. Some people are proud because they identify advertising as a knowledgeable field. Others look at me, and identify me as the king of capitalism, and blame me for the world’s problems. I can identify with both points of view. So during my studies, I not only focus on the advertising world, but the other side as well. There are many people around the world who think that advertising is the devil’s game, and they have every right to believe so. So instead of battling, it’s better to understand another’s point of view. Last year, while I was reading my advertising texts, I decided to read No Logo by Naomi Klein. Reading these two texts were the ultimate contradiction, but I am better off for being more educated.

Rule #3: Don’t contribute to the clutter. Use creative strategic placement
There are numerous stats that show how many different ads we see on a daily basis. However, what these stats don’t say is that the more ads we see, the less effective they are. Just image, if you were in a room, would remember more ads from a bunch of 50 or a bunch of 10? Don’t think of media buying as a way of spending the client’s money on ad space, just to show the client that his/her ads are working. Strategic thinking of placement can help a campaign tenfold.

Rule #4: Step in your audiences shoes
I know this next recommendation may sound too simple but it is one of the most important details that people forget. What of the worst errors that advertisers make is that they have so much information to give, that they try to fit it in a little space. I understand that in some cases, advertisers are forced to fit information, because of clients needs but the quality of the ad must play a role. One of my personal advertising pet-peeves are radio commercials that spend 25 seconds of the commercial trying to tell a story, and the last five seconds squeezing everything else in. People will not forcefully try to understand and decipher ads.

Rule #5: Change your mindset
I have saved the best and most important for last. I have never understood why advertisers believe that people are always attentive to ads. It must be said. PEOPLE DO NOT LIKE ADVERTISING.  Unless people hear a specific word that caters to one of their needs, or see an ad they like, they will listen to ads passively. People understand the necessity to have ads, because they pay the bills. For instance, when people complain about advertising, they never complain that there is advertising. They usually specify that there are too many ads. This has three meanings a) they believe the current amount of advertising is sufficient enough to cover costs b) someone is getting greedy and is willing to put more advertisers for more money c) the ad is in a spot where they feel should be ad-free. In a perfect world, we would need and not need advertising. On one hand, we would need advertising because we need to know about companies selling necessities. On the other hand, we wouldn’t need advertising because everything would be based on 100% content (TV shows, radio, magazine, etc). So advertisers have to understand that when they create ads, they should feeling like they are auditioning for a role, or sitting at a job interview because every ad that is created must prove to the viewer that they should stop and read about the product that you are advertising. In the world of advertising, the group with the most power are consumers. If the people do not buy products, companies do not have a budget to advertise their products. Therefore, our mindsets need to change, thus focusing on better advertisements, which would make better creative (and we all know what follows when you have better creative).

No comments:

Post a Comment